Have you missed me?

I must admit, I am lousy at habits and the first glitch in my schedule, my habits fall away one by one. This Blog is one of them. I promised myself I would have at least one entry every Friday and for the last three weeks I have been remiss. But with good reason as I was sequestered and loving it on an Island in the Penobscot Bay working on Goose Rocks Light House.

I could tell you all about the 1890 Spark Plug style light house and the plans to create an off-grid water and electric system that would be open to rent on a nightly basis. I could tell you about that, but this past week I found out some disturbing info about the way that organization is run and I don't want to give you the impression that I am at all in favor of how and why that light is being restored.

So lets just say, it was an exciting adventure, bit not one I wish to repeat. Except for the Island of North Haven- it is a North Atlantic hidden gem filled with interesting people doing very cool things with regard to sustainable ocean-side living and my aim is to go back there early and often. From the thriving lobster industry to the growing Oyster  Farming industry on the Island to the sustainable sheep and goat farming and locally grown produce, all of which is served in the cutest little Seaside-Village Bed and Breakfast/Only-Fine-Dining-establishment on the Island "Nebo Lodge". The cost of retreating to a Maine Island is not exactly affordable, but if done correctly, the reward of a cold beer and a plate of some of the most delectable and interesting pickles you will ever taste sits just at the end of the Nebo Lodge bar with a lovely bar manager named "Angie".


There was also the free range selection of mussels, the miles of rocky coastline for me and Buxton to explore and if we had a boat that was actually legal, we would have seen some of the coolest Maine coastline ever- Once I get the Beverly Gee working again, I think we will set sail for North Haven to finish our exploration.

For now though, its off to warmer waters.

I have a couple of Ports calling my name right now and I am not sure which way to go. CCB is on a course that I hope will sustain itself, under the capable command of a few key skippers along the Coast of Connecticut- our biggest challenge is where to find the funds to continue the cause and that is why unlike my last billet which was selected because of need and ethics, this one will be selected on its income potential. If I can't lead the cause to success from the Inside, I will find a way to finance the cause from the outside.

Florida, Newport and New London all have promise for me, and in that order. All sit within the realm of the North Atlantic, although the City of Melbourne, Florida is by far the nicest weather-wise and has the greatest potential for new experiences. Newport's earning potential could be much higher if I can get a call back and get the ball rolling. And New London is the closest to home and would require the least upheaval in my life, but also has the lowest income potential right now and if by far the safest bet. So we shall see where the winds blow and decide which way to set the sails when the time presents itself.

For now though, its remembering the cold fogs of Maine, dreaming about warm beaches of Florida and plotting courses to Fishers Island as I make my way to the North Atlantic.



Comments