Change in the winds

I learned this past weekend while playing the salesman at a store in Mohegan Sun, that the City officially killed CCB by removing the dock I permitted,paid for and constructed for the public to access the water in Bridgeport Harbor for the first time in nearly 100 years. It hurt to hear it, but I wasn't surprised- the City has been threatening to do just such a thing for more than a month and while our lawyer said we were completely in the right to moor our last remaining vessel back on our very own dock, I kind of figured the urge to steal would get the better of the corrupt officials we call public servants in this State.

I guess the act of installing the dock and the boats were not in vain- it served to show the world how feeble our State's efforts are at protecting and promoting our waterfront. And I am not gonna call it wasted time, having single handed a 27' sailboat during a gale last two weeks ago to bring that facility back to life- nearly killing myself and sinking the vessel- none of it was a waste because it was the message that I was going for knowing all the while, the people of our State would be no better off for my efforts as they would never care or concern themselves with a resource they never have been allowed to access. Perhaps four generations of shut down have cause our waters to be a foreign body to the culture of a waterfront State.

But we will continue to fight on at CCB I suppose, always underlining the corruption and self-servedness of Connecticut, but will endeavor to continue to share that message by showing Connecticut in juxtaposition to the greater North Atlantic.

I have made efforts over the last year to expand my efforts globally to show Connecticut how backwards they really are in respect to their waterfront. I attempted to show the plight of the world's oceans not as a National Geographic Adventure shot as a far away place never to be seen or touched by the common man, but as a living breathing resource that affects us daily and is charting the course for our lives and the lives of our loved ones whether we know it is there or not. The Ocean is part of CT as much as it is part of MA, NY, RI, FL or NC. The difference is, we in CT think of it as a remote something because we don't touch it directly- where as the folks on the Cape, or Long island live with it on a daily basis.

And so I think I will use this opportunity now that our docks are stowed away for the winter and our fleet sits in the throws of a legal gauntlet, to expand my horizons and make my way South. And adventure for me and with luck, a chance to find new life for CCB. I dont know where it will come from and I dont know where I will land. Likely, it will be a short adventure and I will wind up right back where I started, more broke, more worn and more dissatisfied. But with luck, something different will take place.

I don't know where that will be, but I will cast my fate to the Lord and Poseidon and let them direct me where to go for a while. They have to do a better job than I have done in commanding my ship- My course lead me to the place of my birth, which for some reason my parents left all so long ago vowing to never return. I went back thinking I could do something good, but the inertia of the City is such that I cannot move it until I have made my fortune. So I didn't listen to my parents, but maybe now the fates will lead me to a place I might call home where I might do something big and return to finish what I started 7 years ago.

Who knows, but it should be a fun journey- wont you play along? I will keep updating this blog when I can and keep the online presence alive in the hopes that you find pleasure in my displeasure and comfort in my discomfort. Who knows It could be lovely- I'll let you know

Comments