The Best of Sailing TV: The Voyage of the Mimi

When I was a kid in school, I was in a class for special kids- no not the short bus kinda kids, we were considered advanced learners. It was a pilot program called The Advanced Learning Program or ALPS where we were isolated from general pop and put into a class of nerdy kids who were good at one subject and expected to excel at all subjects because as my 4rth, 5th and 6th grade social studies teacher told us, we were the "cream of the crop".

I was no cream let alone part of a crop. In fact I was weird as were most of the kids in the class and now that I am adult I think may even be on the autism spectrum.  Truly though my teachers and parents never seemed to give a damn or even notice that I sucked at most of the things they said I was supposed to be good at with a high IQ and coke bottle set of glasses. But I got through and muddled my way to masters degree and a captains license- all because of a TV show they made us watch in ALPS because we so fucking special.

And now that I am making TV, I am thinking back to my most favorite shows and how they got me to where I am today and it is my experience in ALPS with The Voyage of the Mimi  that makes me want to pick out the five best Sailing TV Shows that I think set a very high bar for the shows I am trying to make.

And so this week I am going to post a blog each day about the Five Best TV shows/movies about sailing. And for today, I am posting  about The Voyage of the Mimi. 

According to Wikipedia:

 The Voyage of the Mimi is a thirteen-episode American educational television program depicting the crew of the ship Mimi exploring the ocean and taking a census of humpback whales.[2] The series aired on PBS (Public Broadcasting Service) and was created by the Bank Street College of Education in 1984[3] to teach middle-schoolers about science and mathematics in an interesting and interactive way, where every lesson related to real world applications.

Well I have no idea why this show touched me so much, but it did and it lead me to a career as a captain and now as a TV producer and it is some of the best sailing TV I ever saw.

Here's a clip from YouTube with a baby Ben Affleck:




I hope you enjoyed this clip and google the rest of the series- Its the 1980's and Ben Affleck at their best but it truly inspired a short blond latch-key kid with glasses to go to sea and it seems that it got me to where I am today. Thanks for watching.

Comments